On 2 January 2013 my photography journey began, I went in to a shop and spent all of my money on a Nikon D3200 kit. This was the first DSLR I had owned or even used, I had no idea what I was doing. Since then I have learnt so much; I have read books, taken short courses, joined clubs, exhibited and am currently working on towards a HNC in photography as part of an evening class. I have had a blast and have accumulated a lot more stuff. Within the course of this year I have purchased 3 lenses, a Nikon D7100 body (Which is now my main camera), various filters, speedlights and tripods. Despite upgrading from the D3200 to D7100 I would still heartily recommend the D3200 to anyone starting out. I found it so easy to shoot fully manual on that camera. I knew every function on that camera and am not quite at that point with my D7100 yet!
I also rediscovered film photography-well I say rediscovered, but my film experience before 2013 consisted of 2 weeks with a Pentax in 1999 at college and using disposable cameras at music festivals throughout the noughties. I now posess what feels like a mountain of film cameras: I have 2x Holga GCFN, Holga 135BC, Holga 135PC, 2x Diana F+, Diana mini, Olympus OM30 and Zenit TTL. I am sure I will pick up some more this year. In particular, I have my beady eye on an Olympus OM4 and a more precise film camera such as a Yashica Mat 124 or a Bronica.
My photography aims for 2014:
- To get out there and shoot new places/event types
- To be braver about putting myself out there and actively promote my work
- To learn more about photography as an art form and to explore artistic type shots
- To look more to the work of other photographers
- To develop my own black and white film ( This would also stop me being constantly being annoyed at the lab taking around 3 weeks per film and their 35mm scans are terrible!)
- To buy a scanner!
- To start painting/drawing again, this will help my photographic composition and is something I can do when the weather is poor
Some of my favourite photos from this year:
A greenhouse in winter
Beachy Head Holga 135bc
Pram taken by Holga 120GCFN processed and printed by me!
Summer banjo times
- Holga 120GCFN @ Torquay (liztylerphotography.com)
- December sunrise. (liztylerphotography.com)
- Nikon D3200 Wedding photography (liztylerphotography.com)
- My First Pictures on my Nikon D3200 (yonigold.blogspot.com)